Avenida António Augusto de Aguiar, N183, 1 Esq, Lisboa, Portugal
We are a law office located in Lisbon, Portugal

Mail us to get a comprehensive brochure on this: info@cscadvogada.com

European Union (EU), European Economic Area(EEA) and Swiss citizens hold an automatic right to reside in Portugal. But individuals of other nationalities may obtain a Portugal residence permit under many circumstances.

We have a deep knowledge and wide experience in this field and are in a position to  assist clients with all of their residency Application.

EU, EEA and Swiss Citizens

After securing accommodation in Portugal an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen moving to Portugal has a legal obligation to register with the Tax Authority, which may be done at any Tax Office (Repartição de Finanças) or Citizen’s Shop (Loja do Cidadão).

The individual must also register with the Foreigners and Borders Agency (SEF), which must be done at their local Town Hall (Câmara Municipal), you will typically be required to show documentary proof of having sufficient means of subsistence.

Residence Card for non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen Dependent Family Members

After registration of the EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, his/her non-EU/EEA/Swiss spouse (or common law spouse of at least 3 years), dependent children and dependent parents may apply for a residence card having a validity of 5 years.

Temporary Residency, Permanent Residency and Citizenship

All types of residence permits granted by Portugal are initially issued for a period of one year and are subsequently and indefinitely renewable every two years. However, after having held legal Portugal residency for five years and subject to passing a “basic Portuguese” test, one is entitled to permanent residency; and to citizenship, subject to showing ties to Portugal and/or the Portuguese community. As a permanent resident of Portugal, it becomes much easier to then apply for a residence permit anywhere in the EU/EEA/Switzerland. As a Portuguese citizen, one is automatically entitled to live anywhere in the EU/EEA/Switzerland with no need for a permit.

Portuguese Residence Permits for non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens

The different types of Portuguese residence permits that may be applied for are as follows.

1. Permits that may be applied for in Portugal, with no need for previously obtaining a Portugal residence visa from the Portuguese consulate serving the area of the former residence of the applicant:

The Residency-by-Investment permit, commonly known as a “Golden Visa”.

2. Permits that are applied for in Portugal but are required to be preceded by a special-purpose residence visa, obtained from the Portuguese consulate serving the area of the former residence of the applicant:

a) type I Visa  applied for by a retiree, a passive income earner or a high net-worth individual,

b) To study, do a non-remunerated internship or do voluntary work.

c) The EU Blue Card, granted to highly-qualified professionals having a highly-paid contract of employment, except where the applicant already holds a right to reside in Portugal.

d) For a qualified minister of an established religion.
e) To carry out a professional activity in Portugal as an employee, a researcher or teacher at a higher education institution or a highly qualified professional.*
f) To carry out a professional activity as a freelancer or to set up a business as an entrepreneur.*

A Favourable Tax Regime For New Residents

People who move to Portugal and were not tax-resident in this country during at least the previous 5 years, may apply for “non-habitual resident” (NHR) status. This is a regime that grants a new resident of Portugal a 10-year tax exemption on most non-Portugal-sourced types of income, whether or not they are effectively taxed at source, and whether or not, under a double taxation agreement (DTA), tax at source is reduced (e.g. on dividends, interest or royalties) or even eliminated (e.g. on pension income derived from private sector employment).

How Can We Assist?

We provide a one-stop shop for all your needs in connection with your relocation to Portugal, including your residence permit, tax affairs, settling-in support.