Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
An individual who has lived in Portugal as a legal resident for a minimum of five years can apply for citizenship, this is usually the case of the golden visa holders or EU citizens that are living in Portugal or D7 residence permit holders.
The applicant needs to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the Portuguese language usually through a portuguese test.
Moreover, the individual must have no criminal convictions for a crime with a jail sentence of three or more years.
To become a legal Portuguese resident, the applicant must first have obtained a long-term residence visa, which will allow up to a four-month stay. The applicant can then later apply for a Portuguese residence permit, which can be renewed every two years for up to five years.
At this point, the individual can apply for either permanent Portuguese residence or naturalization as a Portuguese citizen.
- engage in full or self-employment (without a work permit);
- participate in academic study;
- access retirement benefits and pensions; and
- Purchase real estate.
Only Portuguese citizens, however, have the following rights:
.- vote in national elections and referendums;
- hold a Portuguese passport;
- secure EU citizenship; and
- live, work, or retire in any other EU member state.
Applicants for citizenship must submitthe following documents:
- a birth certificate (if possible);
- proof of proficiency in the Portuguese language;
- a current passport or travel identification;
- details concerning the date and place of birth;
- current place of habitation, and a list of nations of previous residency;
- a record of criminal history; and
- a legal document proving legal residence in Portugal for the requisite time.
The Golden Visa is a unique Portuguese program devised to increase foreign investment in the country. The program expedites the visa process for international investors from non-EU countries. if they purchase Portuguese real estate or invest an established minimum value. Provided applicants for this program meet all the specified conditions, non-EU national's can receive Portuguese residence permits and later apply for full citizenship after 5 years. Get in touch in case you fall into this category.
We will be gald to consider your case and examine the documents you already have.
Don't hesitate to mail us with your questions. Kindly scan existing documents to facilitate the examination.