Mail here to get a comprehensive brochure on this: email@example.com
Portuguese Citizenship by Marriage or Non-marital Partnership
If you are married to, or in a non-marital partnership with, a Portuguese citizen, you may be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship. To do so, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have been married to, or in a non-marital partnership with, your Portuguese partner for at least 3 years, if you already have portuguese children or 6 years if no portuguese children.
- You must be able to prove that your marriage or non-marital partnership is still valid and subsisting.
- You must have integrated your foreign marriage into portugsal registry system - step 1.
If you meet all of the above requirements, you may submit your application for Portuguese citizenship by marriage or non-marital partnership to the relevant authorities. Please note that you may be required to provide additional documentation supporting your application.
Reasons for Denial of Portuguese Citizenship by Marriage or Non-marital Partnership
Certain conditions under which your application for Portuguese citizenship by marriage or non-marital partnership may be denied. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- If it is found that your marriage or non-marital partnership was entered into solely to acquire Portuguese citizenship.
- If your marriage or non-marital partnership has ended, either through a divorce or the death of your partner, before the expiry of the 3 years required for eligibility.
- If you have been convicted of a crime in Portugal, or any other country, which is punishable by imprisonment of 1 year or more.
- If you are suspected of being a threat to national security, public order, or public health.
- If you have falsified any documents in support of your application.
The Process of Applying for Portuguese Citizenship by Marriage or Non-marital Partnership
You can begin the application process by submitting the necessary documentation to the relevant authorities. These include:
- A completed application form.
- A copy of your valid passport.
- A copy of your birth certificate.
- A copy of your marriage certificate or non-marital partnership registration registered in Portugal, as applicable.
- A criminal record check from your home country and any other countries in which you have resided for 6 months or more in the past 5 years.
- Proof of payment of the applicable fees.
Once your application is complete, it will be reviewed by the relevant authorities. If it is approved, you will be required to take a Portuguese language and culture test, as well as an interview. If you successfully pass these tests, you will be granted Portuguese citizenship by marriage or non-marital partnership.
A Portuguese family law lawyer can assist you with any questions or concerns you may have regarding Portuguese citizenship by marriage or non-marital partnership. Contact our experienced lawyers today for more information.