D7 VISA for Foreigners: Article 58, paragraph 1 of Law no.23/2007 of 4 July and article 24 d) of Regulatory Decree no. 84/2007 of 5November
Pensioners, retired internationalcitizens, or other immigrants living from a stable income stream, such astransferable equity, real estate, intellectual property, or financialinvestments, are permitted to apply for a special visa. Portuguese Law providesfor a D7 Visa, which allows foreign citizens who wish to retire in Portugal orlive on their income, regardless of age, a Portuguese residence permit.
Only the Portuguese consular legationsand the divisions with jurisdiction in the applicant's place of residence canjudge which applicants meet the criteria for the D7 Visa. The consular servicein charge will request a binding legal opinion from the Portuguese Immigrationand Borders Police (SEF), which will issue their opinion within 20 days. Thedecision on the visa application takes 60 days from the date of its submission.
The D7 Visa is a temporary residencyvisa intended to help the holder to obtain a long-term residence permit inPortugal. The Visa remains valid for two entries, entitling the holder toreside in Portugal for four months.
Using the D7 Visa enables therespective holder to obtain a residence permit usually valid for one year,which can be renewed for two years. Eventually, the residence permit can betraded toward a permanent residence permit after five years.
The individual family members of aperson in possession of a residence permit (obtained via a D7 Visa) are alsoentitled to residence permits, based on family reunification statute.
Without prejudice to specialprovisions and other rights provided in Portuguese Law or any internationalconvention to which Portugal is a party, the holder of a residence permit shallbe entitled to, without the need for special authorization, the following:
1. Access to the National HealthService;
2. Access to the PortugueseNational Education Service;
3. Exercise of any work activity asan independent professional;
4. Access to Portuguese vocationalschooling and further professional training;
5. Access and protection by thePortuguese Law and legal system.
1. Application form (available in SEF'swebsite);
2. Passport or another valid traveldocument;
3. Two identical passport-approvedphotos;
4. Adequate travel insurance, withcoverage for all medical expenses, including urgent medical assistance, andpossible repatriation;
5. Criminal background check byPortuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF);
6. Certificate of criminal recordsissued by the country of origin (or any state where the applicant resided formore than one year);
7. Proof of adequate accommodation;
8. Proof of health insurancecoverage;
9. A document reporting annualhousehold income
10. Income or pensions that for 12months amount to no less than: €7.200 for the first adult; €3.600 for second ormore adults; €2.160 per child.
11. Six-months of bank statements.
If you want our assistance to applyfor this Visa, please contact us.